rss
twitter
    http://twitter.com/whateverria

First bike "commute"; Throng of runners make UP an unenjoyable bike route

I only had to traverse a small amount of road to get to UP so I decided not to bring my bike in my car which is very tedious (bike rack set up, lock, etc) so off I went from our home to UP. The scariest part was cp garcia: a long road with surprise elements. Going there, the surprise element was broken glass.

I was early so no cars yet at that time and I enjoyed the cool january breeze. I also enjoyed the acad oval without the throng of runners. Later on as the sky brightened, so did the people thicken. Nakakainit ng ulo. Seriously, there's no place which is biker-friendly now, even in UP. Although today is a car-less day, the runners are everywhere and so un-careful. Who runs side by side in 4 files? With blaring music in their earphones?

*Photo by: Inigo Rudio (newskoday.net46.net/sipat/likemotherlikechild.jpg)
---

Of all road characters, runners should be the most aware of their environment. It's our responsibility to keep ourselves safe as much as motorists are expected to exercise due diligence in using the roads. What should drive us runners to be extra careful is that the danger for us is 10-fold: we only have our skin to protect us and that doesn't really help. So what I'm trying to drive at is this: a runner must be aware of all dangers. Assume that the worst can happen and take the necessary precautions, ie, stay on the side, wear something bright, music on low volume, a blinker if necessary, stay in low traffic areas. Share the road, share the responsibility.

---
anyway, since the oval was not enjoyable anymore, I went to College of Science's "bike rink". I wonder what the structure is really for but it serves as a really good practice area. Spent some time there before I finally decided to go home.

So there I was again in cp garcia, my dreaded moment since by this time the traffic increased already. Chamba...natiming-an na walang kotse. I went home alive and happy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment