rss
twitter
    http://twitter.com/whateverria

Cultured Club: July Musicals

Cultured club is (not) an exclusive group for performance arts showcase appreciation.
---

July, is rainy because of all the LSS after watching these two shows.

JULY 3: 25TH ANNUAL PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE


Or, Spelling Bee as it is better known.

Staged at the RCBC Carlos P. Romulo Theater, my friends and I braved the Makati traffic on a rainy Friday night to watch this Tony Award-winning musical. I'm so happy I got the chance to watch this as I missed it the first time around. Briefly, the show is about a group of quirky kids competing for the spelling bee championship. I mostly enjoyed the show because of the witty lines. The use-the-word sentences were especially funny. Celebrity guests were Angel Aquino and ...Karylle (yes, I know, what are the odds).

Well, there's not much to say but that the show is really fun and entertaining. Interactive even. There's not much shows like this. Great job.



JULY 12: THE FANTASTICKS

The Fantasticks is apparently the "world's longest running musical" and some songs recognizable, especially "Try To Remember" which goes Try to remember the kind of September
When life was slow and oh, so mellow.



I wish to watch this on Broadway, to see how it should really look like. In this show, I found the lead characters a little annoying. Their voices standing alone sound good, but together, they don't blend well. I know that the lead girl is artist-pedigreed, however, I guess for me, she doesn't fit the role? Second, i got lost in the setting. Is it medieval, is it the 50s, or is it current? I didn't appreciate the costume deviations/mismatch. Obviously done on purpose, but these kinds of experiments should be done with a footnote to get the point. Or maybe I just don't get it. On the bright side, I enjoyed the scene stealing by the other characters.

---

The next musicals on my list is Spring Awakening and Sweeney Todd. :D

(Images from http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=482726&publicationSubCategoryId=70 and http://www.repertory-philippines.com/show.asp?showid=49.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment