rss
twitter
    http://twitter.com/whateverria

Urbanite 15k 081509



My Saturday was big day. In the morning, I had a class (SPIT) where I had to give a kick-ass recitation in redemption of my 2 previous bad ones. In the afternoon, group pics for the yearbook. And of course in the evening, my first 15k and my first night race.

Meal Planning. I never thought it would be an issue planning how i would eat until the day before. I remembered, unlike sunday morning races where I could sleep and digest an unplanned heavy dinner still, the same would not hold true this time. So for the dinner 1 night before, I went for carbs and rai supported me by having the exact same meal hehe. Breakfast was nonexistent, as usual during cramming mornings :( but i was able to grab a bottle of gatorade. Lunch with charles at kimono ken, in just the right quantity, ie, not as gluttonous as we are used too haha. A trail mix bar right before the race too. I should've gotten a banana instead had i known i what would happen later. But a nice strategy. I didn't feel heavy or bloated nor hungry.

Off we go. My first thought: ANG DILIM! Especially at Bayani road where there were some potholes.

Oddly, I enjoyed the Heritage Park. It was calm. Quiet. Peaceful?...Probably because everyone did not dare disturb the place. Haha. Oh, except for this guy who kept saying "awoooooo".

My foot pod was accurate up until 11k...guess where that is...deym Mckinley Hills. My short strides fooled my foot pod into adding 2k more than its actual distance..the stretch seemed to never end (!). I walked some uphill parts going back to the entrance.

Finish line. Crossed the finish line with 2:09 at the clock. Haha! Made the mistake too that I stopped immediately without cooling down. True enough I got cramps on my left calf while I was lining up for my finisher's certificate. And from then on I wasn't in a bright mood, didn't feel like taking pictures nor answering questions for an interview (haha!). Because Ronald asked me if they could have a short interview with me for their show (Autoreview) but I volunteered Charles instead. I forgot to take a picture of him (sorry) because my calf was extremely painful at the time, i had to walk around. Sorry too Ronald, I'm ordinarily accommodating and you know that. Haha. Anyway, there's always next time.

Road test: Fuel Belt Slim Pocket Race Number Belt and Hammer Gel. First time to use the belt in a race. Bib was well secured and i'm happy that my shirts would have a break from safety pin punctures, which really is more painful for me than for the shirts. It can double as car key pocket during training runs. I just slide the pocket side to the back. The race belt has gel carriers at the sides, a total of 10! Maybe some guy out there would find them useful. I brought some, just two, but i placed them inside the pocket so naturally the weight was not well distributed. I should've placed them in the carriers.

It was my first time also to use Hammer Gel, tropical and raspberry flavors. I think I should've brought just one, I consumed the second one just so i won't be carrying it around anymore and because it was so yummy hehe. Effective? Maybe...essentially they're caffeine shots in compact and easy to consume form, more runner-friendly (unlike Lipovitan and Red Bull which I used during taek competitions).

ETC. I wanted a breezy outfit so i wore wore my nike tank and running shorts. I forgot that the reflectors fell off my shorts a long time ago. Minor chafing too. :(. Next time, don't forget the petroleum jelly.

Also, while waiting for the gun, I challenged Charles to count how many are wearing this ensemble: i am ninoy shirt, cwx full tights, newtons/lunarglides. I don't understand this pauso. It's like running's gossip girl.

Longer distance? So now that I know I can finish a 15k in not so bad a time (although really off my target because im so competitive, hehehe) I think I should run more of those. Half marathon? Soon, but not too soon.

Now I we move on to Aug 30 preps. Swimming and biking here we go.

0 comments:

Post a Comment