rss
twitter
    http://twitter.com/whateverria

(Under)Training for my first Tri

I'm actually realizing that signing up for both a 15k run and a sprint tri 2 weeks apart is a very bad idea. I've never done both.

On one hand, I'm enjoying the break from the monotony of building mileage (and photocopied pages). But on the other hand, I inevitably undertrain for EVERY event, given my limited time within an academic week.

Almost a month ago I've started my tri training. Self-designed, after reading numerous resources online and on print. I am positive I can finish both, I'm confident with my endurance. But in decent time? That's another question.

I started swimming again 3 weeks ago, the last time was...umm...high school? Haha. That's almost a decade ago. As a sprinter back in gradeschool summer swimming days, I was never acquainted with endurance freestyle technique, ie, the two-beat-kick freestyle (as opposed to the six-beat). I was trying it out, but I conceded that it would take more than a few weeks of practice to get it right...in short, I have to stick to my old technique for this sprint tri and later on develop into a more efficient style. I might need to get a coach to fine tune my strokes too. In the meantime, youtube helps alot in my training. I average on 23 minutes for a 750m swim. Best times in the playing field reach 8-10 minutes. But at least I have the assurance that I will survive it and have more than enough fuel for the remaining events.



As to biking, again, my last time was highschool. And although I had the shifting lesson already at that time, I never really tried to use it (coz I didn't understand it then hehe). All I did was pedal pedal pedal. Last Sunday, Charles gave me that lesson again...glad to say that the same brain could now process and digest that info (thanks to 6 years of driving manual with the civic, and to lawschool for instant info absorption drills aka cramming). It was fun, and I can't wait to get my own one. Will I survive 20k? That's the question.



Running...of course I will finish 5k. Once, I tried a swim-run-- legs fatigue, not so much. Even done it in a good pace. However, when I tried a bike-run (stationary bike), it was hard to keep target pace, calves were knotting and I was constantly wary of getting cramps there. Scary. Yes, it was on a stationary bike, mechanics are different. But still...

As regards the 15k on Saturday... as I've said, never done it. On training days, yes but all easy paced (and I mean really easy). I really don't have a game plan except keep a 7-7:30 mpk as much as possible and walk (or drop down on the road and crawl) if something hurts. Hopefully, I would not resort to that because otherwise, what's going to hurt is my pride. Nyok. :P BTW, the race route would pass by Heritage Park. Heritage during the night...scaryyyy.

But nonetheless I'm enjoying training for these races...and I'm starting to lose pounds despite the less volume as compared to bright summer carefree days :D (finally). It keeps me happy. I am perfectly aware that I'm indeed undertraining, because I would have wanted a steady 6-7 hours a week schedule. But what can I do, this is all which I can squeeze in. And again, I am more than happy to be able to still be active despite a hectic law school semester, a far cry from lethargic, melodramatic girl I was. Haha. Vomit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment